Did she fall in love? Yes, she did.
The 36 questions Catron referred to in her essay come from a study conducted by Dr. Arthur Aron, a psychology professor at the State University of New York. He wanted to find out if he could, “create closeness in an experimental context.”
You can read the complete study here.
Here is how to put Dr. Aron’s theory to the test. Below are three sets of questions. With your partner, take turns asking each other the questions in order. Once you’ve completed all the questions, spend four interrupted minutes looking directly in each other’s eyes.
1. Given the choice of anyone in the world, whom would you want as a dinner guest?
2. Would you like to be famous? In what way?
3. Before making a telephone call, do you ever rehearse what you are going to say? Why?
4. What would constitute a “perfect” day for you?
5. When did you last sing to yourself? To someone else?